Thursday, February 24, 2011

What a birthday surprise!!!!



The Windsor Hotel.


When it comes to celebrating birthdays, few people can surpass Betty Lou.

Oh, we're not talking about her birthday. She would rather forget about them ... or at least that's what she claims.

I am referring, specifically, to my recent birthday. She had been planning the occasion for weeks, if not months. All she would tell me was "it's a surprise."

As the date approached I was advised that I would have to pack for an undisclosed location.

I suspected our trip might be to Cedars of Lebanon State Park ... or maybe Chattanooga ... hmmmmmm, perhaps Gatlinburg? The destination was a big part of the surprise.

Naturally, I was wrong. We started out on I-24 heading towards Chattanooga, but we didn't even stop for our usual restroom break outside of town. Could we be headed to Atlanta? Plenty of things to see and do there besides fight the traffic.

Naturally, our truck "Ruby" was leading the way with her map system. About halfway though Atlanta "Ruby" went a bit berserk recommending that we exit I-75 and take the bypass.

Caught by this dilemma, Betty Lou 'fessed up. We were going to Americus, Ga. to stay in a haunted hotel near a Civil War site where lots of prisoners were held.

Hmmmmm, let me see. Americus...President Jimmy Carter...Habitat for Humanity. After we struggled with the traffic for a long time, it finally hit me. Betty Lou was talking about Andersonville, the infamous prison camp where thousands of Union soldiers died of starvation and disease.

Wow, I had wanted to go there for years.

"Ruby's" detour added two or three hours to our journey, so it was late when we arrived in Americus. They had already rolled up the streets, but we made it to our destination.

It was a beautifully restored historic spot, the Windsor Hotel. Established in 1892, the castle-like building was restored and reopened in 1991.

Wow, we were tired from our travels, but the beauty of the hotel revived us as we checked in and headed to our room on the third floor.

I barely listened to the hotel clerk and the fact were going to visit Andersonville hadn't really clicked in yet. I was ready to get to our room. Grabbing the luggage, we headed to the third floor.

Watching my footwork on the beautiful hardwood floor, I barely noticed a couple sitting near our room. The woman was turned away from me and she was talking ... she was talking to Brian, Betty Lou's brother.

It was Brian and his wife Cathie. I couldn't have been more surprised. They had traveled up from Florida to join our adventure.

We were still laughing when we checked out our beautiful room and headed to the Hotel's bar, Floyd's Pub. We were too late for food, but the bar was very festive and obviously the place for action in that quiet Georgia town.

Eventually, we settled in. The bed was very comfortable. Too bad someone snores like a chain saw. (I won't mention any names...)

A beautiful morning soon dawned and we were off to a wonderful breakfast in the Windsor Hotel's restaurant. The cheese grits were fabulous! And so was the omelet.

It was a beautiful, clear morning and soon we were off to the beautiful, somber Andersonville memorial.

No comments: